LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 17:48:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:15:06 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6694.3 Copy-protection crashes computers? (!)
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
slashdot.org has a link to a detailed article on specifically how to
disable the bogus data track so as to avoid damage to your computer.

Pretty clever, but I've got to wonder how the heck people come up with
these things? "Hmm, this CD doesn't play in my computer--maybe if I draw a
line with a magic marker tangential to the separation between the data and
audio tracks..."  ???

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 04:36  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> Ironically, this "high-tech" protection has already been defeated by
> simply
> scribbling around the rim of the "audio CD" with a felt-tip marker.
> Doing this renders the "audio CD" computer playable and capable of being
> copied.
>
> Millions of dollars of research given their comeuppance by a 99 cent
> marker.  Take that, SONY!

/david