LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 08:39:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mail" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Mail" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: research sample size?
>Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 19:56:03 -0500
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Mail" <[log in to unmask]>

I am a teacher with the North Kitsap School District in WA state. My
district is supporting me in a research project next year using an online
vocabulary acquisition curriculum I've developed based on my research, to
help intermediate students who are struggling with comprehension. The Univ.
of WA statistics dept. is helping me set up the research project so that the
sample group size is appropriate to the multi-level structure that I plan to
include. They have asked me to find the following information, and I'm
hoping you can help:

1) In order to select a statistically valid sample size, we need to look at
other educational research studies that include 4 different elementary
schools, including a total of approx. 12 regular ed. classrooms and their
teachers (3 classrooms at ea. school), at grade levels 4, 5, and 6. (This
would amount to a student sampling of 300-400) Any projects any of you know
of that come close would be helpful!!

2) What amount of improvement in comprehension, over a period of a school
year, would be considered valuable enough to warrant interest in the
strategies used to achieve those improvements? They asked me this question,
and honestly, I wasn't sure how to answer it. For example, over a 6 month
period this year, my reg. ed. class made an average of a full year's growth
according to tests. Students that started below grade level made an average
improvement of 1.5 years in the 6 months. I know these are respectable
gains, but I was very highly motivated to make my approach work. In a larger
scale project, the variety of teaching styles will cause these numbers to
change. When is a gain in comprehension just not enough to make people want
to try something new? What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please direct me to anyone else you think
might have access to this information. I'm unfortunately in a hurry and hope
to have this info. by next week!

Thanks again!

Carla Kessler
360.697.6845