LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 17:24:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 09:29:26 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6650.2 Language Lab questions (!)
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

 Stuart,

Below are my responses to your questions as well.  Good luck!!

--
Mary Fetherston
Supervisor, Language Learning Resource Center

> 1.  Is the director a tenure-track or tenured professor?  If so, how many
> other courses does s/he teach and what is the teaching load at your school?
> Or is this a full-time staff position?

MF: Full-time staff. I don't get the summers off (*sigh*)

> 2.  How is funding provided?  Do you assess a lab fee per student?  If so,
> is it for every course every semester?  Do you also receive money from the
> Dean?

MF: We are part of Instructional Technology and Media Services.  This worked
great during the years we had a technology bond (got lots of great stuff).
But now that the bond has run dry I compete with desktop labs for resources.
But they do take care of me.  The students do pay a Tech fee of $50/semester
but this is split between the library ($33/semester) and IT ($17/semester).

> 3.  Do you have a full-time technology person that work there or is this a
> part of the director's job?

MF: There is only one position. I have to do it all or train the students to
do it.

> 4.  Do you employ student workers?  How are they paid?

MF: Yes, I have about 15 students that work in the lab. They are paid from
the larger IT student budget.  Students start at $5.95. After their first
semester they can get a raise (if they have completed a set of on-the-job
training). Some get the opportunity to become student supervisors (at
$7.20/hour).

> 5.  Have you digitized your materials yet?  How are you coping with
> copyright
> laws?

MF: All audio, video clips that accompany texts but not feature-length
videos.  I have only had one problem with copyright of a video and so the
prof just shows it in class and students can review it in the lab.

> 6.  What kind of check-out system do you have for hard copy materials?

MF: Materials can't be taken out of the lab, but we have no "system" for
checking for use within the lab (other than putting a note in the lab
register program that they were given materials).  Getting something better
has always been a low priority because we have never had a loss that hasn't
resurfaced in a day (usually the faculty absent-mindedly walk out with
something).