LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:13:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Julia Aguilar" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 11:37:06 -0400
>From: "Julia Aguilar" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum                          <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6673 looking for culture-oriented CD-Rom for Spanish containingshort stories, legends etc.

Dear Michal,

You might try Textos en contexto:  Literatura hispanoamericana en multimedia published by Harcourt,
2001 but now handled by Heinle and Heinle.  These are materials first developed at the Univ. of
Pennsylvania by Jose Miguel Oviedo and myself. The package includes a CD-Rom and print anthology
containing 6 classic short stories and a poem (Garcia Marquez, Rulfo, Cortazar, Ferre, Poniatowska,
Monterroso, Neruda )with interactive glossary, audio recording of the story by most of the authors,
video or audio interviews with each author and Web-enabled cultural activities.  The CD-Rom
exercises are designed to be done outside class but debriefed in the classroom to encourage
interaction and extended discourse about the stories.  The text provides group or paired activities
based on images and proverbs that provide opportunities for students to probe cultural differences
in class.

The materials also come with a teacher's manual that includes the scripts of the interviews and
other suggestions for use.

I use these materials with third and four semester Spanish classes instead of the traditional
anthology. We have found the interactive glossary to be the most popular feature because the
students can actually read authentic literature at the intermediate level without spending hours
looking up words in the dictionary.  My research has shown that the interactive glossary by itself
doesn't show much gain in vocabulary learning however. For that reason other exercises in the
package target specific vocabulary words for acquisition.

You can contact your Heinle rep or Jill Garrett  [log in to unmask]  for a desk copy.

Best regards,

Julia Van Loan Aguilar
Eastern University
St. Davids, PA