LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 1 May 2002 17:24:06 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:38:34 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Marty Dewindt <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6653 Image AXS for PC
>Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

------------------
We have and love Image AXS. Like you, we also are being forced into another
solution.

We have looked at about 30 packages as we move forward with increased image
usage. You might want to look at Extensis as it does both Mac and PC and
will take input from Excel. Image AXS will export to Excel.

Extensis met most of our criteria, including a searchable text field so
that you didn't have to delineate your categories at the beginning.
However, it was not Novell/LDAP compliant, which meant your had to
separately create your logins and users for this system.

Therefore, we are using ACDSee, which is Novell compliant. Though it works
like a database (attaches a text field to each image which is then
searchable), but is really more of a file management system. The Mac
version is older than the PC version and the new Mac version won't be out
for a year.

We may eventually move to OTG which partners with SCT and works well with
Banner. We are just getting started with Banner, so look at ACDSee as an
immediate solution until OTG is up and rolling.

Marty

At 03:22 PM 4/30/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---
>
> >Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:32:59 -0500
> >From: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Image AXS for PC
> >To: Language Learning and Technology International Information
> Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>
>------------------
>All,
>
>Image AXS is a older cross-platform database for images.  I have received a
>CD with a database for a 30,000 slide collection in a PC version of the
>software.  I have the Mac version and I made the mistake of assuming my Mac
>version would read the PC files.  WRONG.
>
>Since ScanSoft has purchased Image AXS and dropped it, I was wondering if
>anybody had a newer PC version they were no longer using and would be
>willing to sell.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Tom Browne

>Thomas Browne
>Humanities Resource Center
>Macalester College
>651-696-6336

Marty DeWindt                   [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology     Director                618-374-5132
The Principia                           www.prin.edu