LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:06:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:10:36 -0400
>From: "Mary Morrisard-Larkin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6649 Beginning Spanish FIPSE

------------------
Rachel - I would be very interested in collaborating with you on this project.  At Holy Cross, we have Independent Learning courses in Spanish, so we're always looking for better ways to deliver audio/video materials.  Let me know what additional information you would need.  Mary M-L

Mary Morrisard-Larkin
Educational Technology Group
Director, Self-Paced Language Program
College of the Holy Cross
One College St., Box 118A
Worcester, MA 01610

Office:  O'Kane 458
508-793-3796
508-793-3882
http://www.holycross.edu/departments/splp/website/index.html

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/23/02 01:58PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Rachel E. Saury" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 14:12:46 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Rachel E. Saury" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Beginning Spanish FIPSE

Dear colleagues,

We have received an invitation from FIPSE to submit a long proposal.  I am
writing to see if there is anyone "out there" would be interested in
participating as a collaborator on this project.

Here is a brief summary:

The Beginning Spanish Natural Speech Project  breaks down conventional
academic and often limiting boundaries between disciplines and institutions
through further development and eventual dissemination of a suite of
software called Savant.  Savant is intended as a general tool to allow for
the multi-lingual and multi-purposed use of video and audio files in
conjunction with transcripts and associated information, including language
learning activities. A Java-XML tool, it shows audio and video in
time-based synchronization with transcripts, translations, and associated
data such as grammatical notes, lexical notes, linguistic annotations and
content annotations. With web-based accessibility, developers and
collaborators can contribute to a shared database of authentic and
associated materials.  A FIPSE grant for three years, from May, 2003
through May, 2006 will enable us to further develop modes of access in
Savant that allow for its use in language pedagogy, cultural pedagogy,
general public and research consultations for multiple purposes.  We
propose Spanish as a test-bed for this project in order to address the
national trend towards high enrollments in that language and, thus, for
high quality target-language materials in a distance learning format which
can be adapted for use either in conjunction with a traditional classroom
setting or for more independent work.  At UVA, in particular, we are
planning on using Savant as a rich learning resource to replace 2 hours of
seat time in a traditional classroom as one way of addressing a need to
open more sections and thus better utilize teaching assistant resources.

Collaborators could be involved at any or all of the following three levels:

1) Development of the tool Savant: the collaborators would send a
representative to UVA 2-4 times over the 2 development years to evaluate
the tool in progress and give input on its development.  Further, since the
tool is going to be web-based, you would also provide input long-distance.

2) Development of authentic materials--videos--for the database: since a
large component of the grant as we see it is to end up with authentic
materials in the database with associated activities that will then be
tested in class, lab and off-site settings, we hope to be able to build on
available materials and associated activities.  In our case, we will work
with our Study Abroad program to Valencia so that undergraduates will be
collecting authentic videos as part of their program grade.  We could also
be adopting already existing materials (of course with copyright
permissions). The collaborators could be contributing to the database and
to activity development.

3) Test-runs of Savant in actual courses: pilots of the new materials would
be run at collaborators' institutions in year 3, with the results evaluated
in some way.

Let me know if you are interested in participating!  The application
deadline is May 24, so we would need to hear from you within the next few
days in order to better evaluate how you would participate!

Any input on similar programs underway nationally would also be welcome!

Cordially,

Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
Director, Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technologies
Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
P.O. Box 400784, Cabell 219
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4784
434-924-6847 ph.
May the light of awakened mind become apparent. Ven. Dhyani Ywahoo, Etowah
Cherokee