LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:58:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6625.4  BYU CAPE tests and Windows 2000 (!)
>Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:31:29 -0400

------------------
Dear All:

Many, many thanks for all of the helpful information you provided on- and
off-list.  Rather than continue to use a product that is unsupported by BYU,
we have elected to move to WebCAPE.  For the moment, we'll continue to use
our current organizational structure for the administration of the exams (3
days of walk-in onsite placement exams just prior to first-year student
registration).  Colleagues in the department have raised concerns about
identity control for those taking the exams, as well as the possibility that
students may cheat by using written materials during the course of the exam
if not proctored.

I have mixed feelings about the prospect of using online exams over the
summer -- on the one hand, it'd make my schedule in the few days prior to
the beginning of school much more manageable (in addition to supervising the
language placement exams, I advise first-year students, undeclared
second-year students and majors, and prepare classes ... all at the same
time), but I do understand my colleagues concerns about the validity of an
instrument that we count on for placement.

As before, any and all thoughts and suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Best,

a.

Andrew F. Ross, Ph.D
Director, Multimedia Language Lab
G15 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond,  VA   23173
Tel: (804) 287-6838

"Worrying about a large institution, especially when it has computers is
like worrying about a large gorilla, especially when it's on fire." --
Bruce Sterling