LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:40:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Kunst" <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2002,  Karam Marie E <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Please advise on how to download the capability to write in Japanese on
> > Office 2000.  I thought we had done that by the usual means as the other
> > 6 languages we teach but the Japanese TA said he cannot write but only
> > read Japanese with the Microsoft download.  What are we missing?
>
> Did you go to the Control Panels folder, open Regional Settings, click on
> the Input tab, and select the Japanese input method?
>
>                             Jeffrey J. Hayden

I'm concerned that a distinction isn't being made here between "Windows
2000" and "Office 2000". The Japanese input method editor is built into all
copies of Windows 2000 and Windows XP. It is not built into non-Japanese
versions of Office 2000 or Office XP.

For Windows 2000 and XP, Jeffrey's directions should work. Also see Elena
Micheletti's letter appended below, which was recently posted to LLTI, for
useful detailed instructions.

For a Japanese input method editor for Office 2000 running under Windows 98,
there is the Microsoft Global IME for Japanese, which will work only in the
three Microsoft applications Word, Outlook (e-mail client), and Internet
Explorer, and in Netscape 6.x. The Global IMEs for Japanese, Chinese, and
Korean are downloadable from the Microsoft website and can be found as
extras on various Microsoft setup CDs from the period 1998-2000, maybe even
the Office 2000 CDs.

Best wishes,
Rick Kunst

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
The Humanities Computing Laboratory
A Nonprofit Education and Research Corporation
301 W. Main St., Suite 400-I
Durham, NC 27701 USA
Tel. (919) 667-9556, (919) 656-5915
Fax: (919) 667-9556
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.humancomp.org
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

===================================

>From: "Elena" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re:      Re: #6620.2 Floating Onscreen Keyboard question
>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:23:28 +0100

First you need to install the extra languages. To do so:

----->>>> WINDOWS XP
To add another language
  1.. Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
  2.. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click
Details.
  3.. Under Installed services, click Add.
  4.. In the Input language list, click the language you want to add.
  5.. Select the check box for the type of text service you want to install,
if multiple options are available, and then click a service in the list.
  If Keyboard Layout/IME is the only type of service available, click an
option in that list.

 Notes

  a.. To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control
Panel, click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click
Regional and Language Options.
  b.. Add an input language if you want to insert or display text in that
language. You must select at least one text service, such as a keyboard
layout or Input Method Editor (IME), when you add a new language.
  c.. Add only those languages you will use. Each language you add is loaded
into memory when you start your computer and can affect performance.
  d.. If the Language bar is displayed, you can right-click the Language bar
and then click Settings to open the Text Services and Input Languages dialog
box.

---->>> WINDOWS 2000

click Start, click Control Panel, Regional Options, and then click on the
Input locale tab. Press the CHANGE button and then the ADD button to install
extra languages.

Once this is done, you can switch between languages eithe using the LANGUAGE
TOOLBAR (W-XP) or the LANGUAGE ICON on the application bar (W-2000).
Open the Visual keyboard from the PROGRAMS menu: the display will change
accordingly to the selected language.

Regards

EM