LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:15:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:49:20 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6622 Mac OS X and Hindi/Arabic
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
As Otmar has pointed out already, there are some releases (or tiers) of
OSX that do not include full Hindi or Arabic support. However, if one has
the language kits installed in OS9 (and thus the fonts) and one of the
main stream OSX releases, OmniWeb (at least the 4.1 betas and sneakypeek
revs) will find and use the fonts, and display the arabic. The Al-jazeera.
com site is readable, though the characters all display in their
stand-alone, non-linked forms, but it does display RTL.

There are currently no input methods, but they are coming.

On Wednesday, April 10, 2002, at 05:27  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> Is anyone out there using Mac OS X with either Hindi or Arabic fonts, and
> doing so successfully? I remember postings a while back stating that the
> language support just wasn't there for Mac OS X in these languages, and I
> wonder if that has improved yet, or if anyone has made it work.
>
> I have a professor in each of these languages who wants to go to OS X and
> I'm trying to work out whether it is a good idea or not.

/david