LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:14:57 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 08:18:34 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Daniel E. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6622 Mac OS X and Hindi/Arabic

------------------
According to my contacts at Apple, right-to-left language support is
still being worked on in OS X. Arabic and Hebrew are the two big
concerns right at the moment but they are also working on the Indian
languages. Though they would not comment on when these languages
might be available, I would suspect sometime this year (late
summer/early fall perhaps???) that Apple will include them as an
update in the operating system. Dan.

>Is anyone out there using Mac OS X with either Hindi or Arabic fonts, and
>doing so successfully? I remember postings a while back stating that the
>language support just wasn't there for Mac OS X in these languages, and I
>wonder if that has improved yet, or if anyone has made it work.
>
>I have a professor in each of these languages who wants to go to OS X and
>I'm trying to work out whether it is a good idea or not.
>
>Thanks very much,

Daniel E. Meyers - Director of the Interactive Language Resource Center
47 Irvin Hall, Miami University, Oxford, Ohio 45056-1848
Office: (513) 529-2510  -  Lab: (513) 529-4505  -  Fax: (513) 529-1807
WWW: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/~ilrc/