LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 18:15:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Richard Kunst" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Richard Kunst" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6623 Arabic Program "Accent"
>Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:27:05 -0400

------------------
Henny,

One Accent program related to Arabic that I am familiar with was a good
multilingual word processor for Windows with deep Arabic roots (it seems to
me it might have originated with an Israeli company). As I recall, there was
also an Accent multilingual web browser, during the heady post-Mosaic,
pre-Internet Explorer days of real browser competition. The Accent word
processor is at least 6 years old, so in terms of today's standards it would
be somewhat dated, but I think it was Unicode-based.

One possible place to get it is from Transparent Language,Inc.
(http://www.transparent.com, [log in to unmask], tel. 603-465-2230). They
licensed it and bundled it with their "Learn Arabic Now" program and
probably several other packages. In fact I have in front of me the
still-shrink-wrapped "Bonus CD" (part# P700/TC170071). Accent may have had
an Arabic spell-checker included with it, but apart from that, I can't think
of any Arabic capability it had that Microsoft Word or WordPad running on
Windows 2000 or XP, or several other multilingual word processors, wouldn't
also be capable of.

Best wishes,
Rick Kunst

The Humanities Computing Laboratory
A Nonprofit Education and Research Corporation
301 W. Main St., Suite 400-I
Durham, NC 27701 USA
Tel. (919) 667-9556, (919) 656-5915
Fax: (919) 667-9556