LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:24:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Subject: Re: #6607.2 Students downloading programs (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:03:28 -0800

------------------

Greetings from sunny Las Vegas,

     We also use Deep Freeze. I tried Fortress and FoolProof and found too
many conflicts with the great variety of language software we have on our
PC's. (Win98 2ed). Deep Freeze allows students to go wild. Want to download
all your games? Want to delete all the Win files? No problem. Go for it.
All I have to do is reboot the machine and it's back to its original state.
I have had no conflicts with any of my software.
     You can also set Deep Freeze to reboot itself periodically. My
machines reboot themselves at 8 am every morning to start the day off
fresh. Our Writing Center had their's set to reboot every half hour.
Problem was that if students walked away from their machines for a half
hour and the machine rebooted, all work was lost. If students save work to
the hard drive, it will also be gone when Deep Freeze reboots your machine.
     I'm very please with Deep Freeze and since the University paid for the
site license it made it even better. All open labs on campus use it.

Gerry Hartig
Director
Language Resource Center
University of Nevada, Las Vegas