LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:09:44 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Karima Benremouga <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:52:49 -0600
>From: Karima Benremouga <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6607 Students downloading programs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

Try FoolProof.  Visit http://www.smartstuff.com/products/security.html for
info about the product.  We have been using it successfully with our Macs.

Karima

At 05:25 PM 4/3/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:01:14 -0800
> >From: Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Students downloading programs
>
>We have about 58 PC's running Word in our labs, all of which are
>accessible to our international students for self-access.  Although we
>stress at new student orientations (and in signs all over the labs and
>on each monitor) that students are not to download programs or fonts in
>their own language, they continue to do so.  We explain that downloading
>programs changes system folders and cause other difficulties, but it
>makes no difference to the students.  We were told about some software
>called "Fortress" that will prevent students from doing this, but we
>can't find this company.  Could anyone help with information about
>Fortress or some other software that we could use?  I should mention
>that on Friday afternoons, we do reimage the computers and change from
>Netscape to Internet Explorer to allow students to write in their own
>language, but the rest of the time we want the labs to be English Only,
>in keeping with our immersion program policy.  We would appreciate any
>suggestions you might have.
>
>--
>Barbara Siennicki
>Head Teacher, CALL
>English Language Institute
>University of British Columbia
>2121 West Mall
>Vancouver, B.C.
>Canada  V6T 1Z4

Karima Benremouga, Ph.D.
Director of The Language Acquisition Center
IALLT Representative at TESOL
311 Agnes Arnold Hall
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-3048