LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:09:35 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 08:58:54 -0500 (EST)
>From: Ed Dente <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6607 Students downloading programs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
We use a wonderful little device - a physical lock - called Centurian
Guard, from Centurian Technologies. It is turned on and off with a key,
and prevents anything from being written on the hard drive. It creates a
virtual hard drive while the computer is in use, then on reboot, all
that temporary material is deleted.
This works wonderfully, and has the advantage of your not having to fiddle
w/ programs on the hard drive to get them to work or not work under the
software security system you may be trying to use.
Cheers,
Ed Dente

       "If you want to call me that, smile."
                         -Gary Cooper, <<The Virginian>>

2002, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:01:14 -0800
> >From: Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Students downloading programs
>
> We have about 58 PC's running Word in our labs, all of which are
> accessible to our international students for self-access.  Although we
> stress at new student orientations (and in signs all over the labs and
> on each monitor) that students are not to download programs or fonts in
> their own language, they continue to do so.  We explain that downloading
> programs changes system folders and cause other difficulties, but it
> makes no difference to the students.  We were told about some software
> called "Fortress" that will prevent students from doing this, but we
> can't find this company.  Could anyone help with information about
> Fortress or some other software that we could use?  I should mention
> that on Friday afternoons, we do reimage the computers and change from
> Netscape to Internet Explorer to allow students to write in their own
> language, but the rest of the time we want the labs to be English Only,
> in keeping with our immersion program policy.  We would appreciate any
> suggestions you might have.
>
> --
> Barbara Siennicki
> Head Teacher, CALL
> English Language Institute
> University of British Columbia
> 2121 West Mall
> Vancouver, B.C.
> Canada  V6T 1Z4

Edmund N. Dente
Director, Language Media Center    Ph: 617-627-3036
Tufts University                   [log in to unmask]
Medford, MA 02155