LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:09:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Carly Born <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:26:46 -0600
>From: Carly Born <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6607 Students downloading programs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
At my previous institution they used Fortress, but had nothing but problems
with it.  I'm sorry I didn't handle that installation, so I don't have much
to offer down that road.

But our Student Computing Coordinator here has instituted a wonderful system
with a software called PCRDist.  This is a system that, on every logout or
shut down, the system files are checked against a master setup.  Anything
that has been changed is set back to the original setup and anything new is
deleted.  He has it setup so that it runs after every time our students
logout, which they are encouraged to do when they leave the lab.  The
refreshing process take about 2 minutes and then it reboots itself and is
ready for the next person.

We like it because it keeps the machines clean and it's also an easy way to
add new software.  We just add it to the master and then they have it the
next time they reboot.

Of course, this requires a server and some overhead to make sure it all
works nicely.  But once it works, it's great!

Carly J. Born
Academic Computing Coordinator
Literature & Foreign Languages
Carleton College