LLTI Archives

April 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 17:25:30 EST

--- Forwarded Message from Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 11:01:14 -0800
>From: Barbara Siennicki <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Students downloading programs

We have about 58 PC's running Word in our labs, all of which are
accessible to our international students for self-access.  Although we
stress at new student orientations (and in signs all over the labs and
on each monitor) that students are not to download programs or fonts in
their own language, they continue to do so.  We explain that downloading
programs changes system folders and cause other difficulties, but it
makes no difference to the students.  We were told about some software
called "Fortress" that will prevent students from doing this, but we
can't find this company.  Could anyone help with information about
Fortress or some other software that we could use?  I should mention
that on Friday afternoons, we do reimage the computers and change from
Netscape to Internet Explorer to allow students to write in their own
language, but the rest of the time we want the labs to be English Only,
in keeping with our immersion program policy.  We would appreciate any
suggestions you might have.

--
Barbara Siennicki
Head Teacher, CALL