LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 2002 08:08:33 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Marji Roy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:37:00 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Marji Roy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Recommendation on Voice recognition software for kids

Hi Folks,

Is anyone used iListen, viaVoice on Macs, or Naturally speaking on PC
with grades 4-8 students.  Any application preferences?

I need recommendations for speech recognition software to be used by
special needs students in grades 4-8. My Special Ed director has
heard that the software that is really working in schools is Dragon's
Naturally Speaking on PC's and that it is not available for Macs (we
are an all Mac school) nor does it work with Virtual PC.   We've been
told that the problem with many voice recognition systems is that
they don't work well with children's voice range.

I'd appreciate hearing experiences of other schools.
TIA

Marji Roy
Technology Consultant
Ashford School, CT