LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 17:17:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 13:52:25 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum             <[log in to unmask]>
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Language Learning Machines?

------------------
We have a couple of Chinese instructors here that want their students to
purchase "language learning machines" along with their textbooks, and
they've asked me to try to find a couple of vendors.  I don't know what the
correct name of the equipment is--"language learning machine" seems like it
may be a direct translation from Chinese, but not necessarily the correct
title.  Apparently the sole function of this equipment is to record
segments of audiotapes onto a computer chip, which will then repeat that
one segment over and over and over until it's erased by the user. The
benefit of the equipment is perhaps that it's small enough to carry around
and weighs less than a laptop.

Does anyone have any experience with the so-called language learning
machine?  Does it work, and how well?  And does anyone have the name of a
vendor or two?  Thanks.

Regards,
Sue