LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:19:47 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:38:51 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6565.2 video file size problems (!)
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear LLTIers

I've seen several postings on this topic and felt the need to add my few
pesos worth.  I use Cleaner for audio and video compression.  It offers the
most settings and control over the process.

While recommendations for compression settings are fine to start with, you
really have to experiment.  High motion, low motion, quality of picture,
intended purpose, and client connection speed are all factors when choosing
what you will use.  I have developed 6 presets I start with depending on the
motion/quality/purpose variables, I run the video through my best guess and
then either move up or down a preset or monkey with the number of frames and
key frame rate.

My best recommendation would be to make the clip size as small as possible.
In most cases, I use 240 x 180.  This allows higher quality motion with a
lower key frame rate.  I am amazed how much motion there is in even 'talking
head' clips -- actors sway back and forth, gesticulate, or there are people
walking in the background. I would add that in language learning, we really
need a clear view of the speaker's mouth--especially for French!

You say the file size was 1 Gig, how long was the original file?  My three
minute files average 300-400 MB uncompressed. (I digitize and edit the media
using Final Cut Pro).  Sometimes, I offer multiple file sizes for student
use-- if I think the quality really suffers under 10MB then I offer a large
file and a small file and the student can choose.  The smallest I have
gotten a 3 minute clip is 3.2 MB (with acceptable quality).

Mary
--
Mary Fetherston
Supervisor, Language Learning Resource Center

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

--- Forwarded Message from "PROCTOR, ROSANA" <[log in to unmask]> ---