LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:19:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:55:14 -1000
>From: Keola Donaghy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6566.1 printing Hindi web fonts (!)
>To: [log in to unmask]

------------------
You may want to look at Fairy, created by the developer of "Microsoft's"
WEFT technology. We're using it for Hawaiian on our site, and very happy
with the results. It supports MS/IE and Navigator on both platforms,
unlike WEFT or Bitstreams fonts.

http://www.em2-solutions.com/apps/fairy/fairy.htm

The developer really bent over backwards to help us with Polynesian
language support, and has been amazingly fast in implementing bug fixes
and new features.

HTH,

Keola

>> In particular, the website www.amarujala.com - They tell you to download
>> their au.zip font file, but the link to it is broken. Does anyone
>> happen to
>> have that file from the days when the link might have worked?
>>
>> Barring that, does anyone know how to print pages from that site without
>> their font? I've downloaded literally dozens of Hindi fonts and
>> that hasn't
>> helped.
>>
>> The one thing I know I can do, and have done successfully, is to take a
>> screen shot of the page and paste it into Paint, and then print that.
>But
>> it would be nice to not have to go through all that!
>>
>> This particular site shows up well on the monitor but prints in
>> jibberish.
>> Some other sites that my faculty would like to use don't show up well on
>> the monitor. So any insight into Hindi fonts and the web would be
>greatly
>> appreciated!

Keola Donaghy
Hawaiian Language Curriculum and Technology Coordinator
Native Hawaiian Serving Institution Program
University of Hawai'i at Hilo

[log in to unmask]        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~nhsi
Kualono                           http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/