LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:48:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Duncan Charters <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>Fundamental question: Should we buy stand-alone DVD players or should we
>use software players?

I first taught a class using a DVD film from my Mac G3 PowerBook with a
CD/DVD module, which worked fine with our projector either through computer
or video input with an s-video connection (the latter produced richer
color).  However, I was really glad when we could replace that with a
stand-alone player, since the controls were much easier to operate than
using the computer keyboard, and as a specific added advantage I could
instantly toggle between subtitles (on/off) or audio tracks from the remote
without returning to the menu.

>Assuming we can afford the price (big assumption, I know), what can you
>tell me about ease of use?  I'm interested in high faculty adopt-ability
>and use factor rather than high geek factor.  Is the remote control easy
>to understand and use?  Are the buttons on the panel easy to get to?
>See?  Understand?

All DVD remotes I have seen take a little getting used to, although there
has been some small improvement since 3 years ago.  This is definitely an
issue, as faculty may give up if something doesn't work in the middle of a
class and they can't figure it out.  Whichever you use, training and/or
hand-holding may be appropriate to get people started.  My initial
instruction sheet ran to a full page, which is not what people want to see.
This is getting better as people acquire home DVD players (some are now
down to $69.99 on sale!).  We use the Pioneer DV-333 and DV-343, but the
remote and its buttons are really smaller than they should be for
convenience, so that's the one "feature" I don't recommend on the Pioneer.
Apex and others are still making tiny buttons, though, so perhaps someone
else on the list can speak for other brands.  Panel buttons are also often
too small or too crowded (e.g. with karaoke stuff), so designers need to do
a better job on both, in my view.

Dr. Duncan Charters
Professor, Language Department
Principia College, Elsah, IL 62028-9799
Telephone: (618) 374-5252    Fax: (618) 374-5465
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>