LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:47:58 EST
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:41:44 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6562 even more DVD questions
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
_Some_ DVD drives do the detection in hardware directly and switch
automatically. And even those will have firmware limits to the number of
times they can be switched back and forth without flashing the firmware.

Of course PowerDVD may do just that--allow the flashing of some drives,
but I'm merely speculating at that...

On Wednesday, March 6, 2002, at 09:06  AM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> 2) We have PowerDVD installed all over campus.  My lab tech tells me
> that it ignores region codes so that I won't even
> have to worry about a software decoder or a hack to get it to work more
> than 5 times with non-region 1 DVDs.  Does
> anyone out there have experience with this?

/david