LLTI Archives

March 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 17:05:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:48:46 -0600
>From: "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6560 converting French text in DOS-MSWord to something 21stcentury

Couple of suggestions:
1. scan the hardcopy and save it as a Word document and it should then
open up with the correct accents etc.
2. get Proofing Tools software from MS. When set up for the languages
you want, it automatically recognizes the language you are imputing and
spell check it, offering word options with accents and such. The
software is not expensive, and if you already have a sight license for
MS Word, you don't need to get one for Proofing Tools.

Susan Gehrlein
Director, Foreign Language Learning Center
University of North Texas
PO Box 311127       Denton, TX 76203-1127
940-565-2585 (tel)    940-565-2581(fax)

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/28/02 04:41PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from "Ermentrout, Love"

>Subject: converting French text in DOS-MSWord to something 21st century
>Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:46:54 -0500
>From: "Ermentrout, Love" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Hello list!

A colleague has given me a disk to edit (manuscript of a book of his),
on which there is half the text in English and half in French.
The text was, unfortunately, prepared in 1989 and never touched since,
and seems to have been written in a DOS version of MicrosoftWORD.

I can open these documents with a current version of MSWord.  The
English text is fine, though missing its formatting, BUT in the French
text all the letters with diacritical marks are replaced with a variety
of common and uncommon punctuations (comma, suspension dots, S with
circumflex, etc.)

So my question is ... Does anyone have a dinosaur PC lying around, on
which they could open these documents, save them as something more
compatible with newer Word versions and send them back to me?  I don't
know what equivalent service to offer in return, or I would ... but
whatever help or ideas you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Merci 1.000 fois
-- L. Ermentrout
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, SC USA