LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:51:09 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Jane R. Evans" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 16:08:40 -0800
>Subject: Lab problems with Allons-Y
>From: "Jane R. Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
The language lab at Westmont College has a number of copies of Allons-Y
running on Macintoshes with OS 9.1.

The machines are also used by a graphics class. As a result, the multiple
user function on each machine has been activated. The modern language
students therefore only have access to their programs, and the graphics
students do not. However, this setup does not allow either to write to the
root level of the disk, which is where Allons-Y insists upon writing the
.aif files. This renders the pronunciation part of the program currently
partially usless to us.

The program also writes a text file called Path.txt on the root level. As
the program makes heavy use of Macromedia's Director, I would assume that a
command and path could be entered into this text file, and the audio .aif
files would be written to the directory indicated. I have tried putting
various paths in the file, but there must be some command such as setpath,
etc. that would cause this to happen. Has anyone found a way to both use
Allons-Y and the multiple user function?

We also (because this is a lab) bought some Plantronics USB
microphone/headset combinations. The USB Audio input is selected in the
Sound Control Panel (with External Mic), but the application does not
recognize this as input. It apparently only accepts the built-in External
Microphone, which renders the attempts to keep the lab as quiet as
possible--impossible. Has anyone been able to work around this problem?

I wrote to Thomson Learning about this, but received a reply that they could
do nothing about the first problem. The second was not addressed.

I would appreciate any hints...

--
Jane R. Evans
Volunteer, Graphics/Language Lab