LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:51:41 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Rachel E. Saury" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:38:03 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Rachel E. Saury" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Houghton Mifflin licensing agreeemnt

------------------
Dear friends,

I hope this finds all my IALL colleagues well these days!  I haven't been
in circulation much in the past year, but think of you often!

I'm writing to ask for other people's opinions about and experiences with
Houghton Mifflin when negotiating licensing agreements for audio materials.
Our Japanese program uses Nakama, by Makino et al.  We have recently
received a notice from them that we are not allowed to disseminate Nakama
materials outside of the language laboratory AND that we cannot alter the
materials in any way.

We find their policy draconian and counter to Educational Fair Use.  Our
first year Japanese instructor, for instance, would like to be able to use
small segments of the audio materials in the Divace (Tandberg) AACC
format.  This means that she takes small sound bites from the audio
materials and puts them into a ready-made template available with the
Divace that enables students to record themselves, to hear their recording
and to be forced to hear the master recording a second time.

Further, we are moving towards web-based access for as much of our audio
materials as possible. This will be accomplished through a course
administration tool called Mallard.  All materials will be password
protected.

Do you have any similar experiences with HM?  Any suggestions?  Is there
any way IALL can help negotiate with these companies to come into the 21st
century in their thinking about the educational uses of these materials?

Thank you!

Rachel Saury

Rachel E. Saury, Ph.D.
Director, Arts & Sciences Center for Instructional Technologies
Lecturer, Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
P.O. Box 400784, Cabell 219
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4784
434-924-6847 ph.
May the light of awakened mind become apparent. Ven. Dhyani Ywahoo, Etowah
Cherokee