LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:40:06 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Christopher M. Jones" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:03:23 -0500
>From: "Christopher M. Jones" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6528 Web technologies for language teaching
>Originator-Info: login-token=Mulberry:01nM/Ve/85ROnTTSTy509M6u8sTKciOmLKMkLwnD9IBA==; [log in to unmask]

------------------
Rodney:

Good to hear from you again. A couple of oomments on/in response to your
questions:

1) Blackboard/WebCT. Although an initial enthusiast (I use WebCT and the
campus uses Blackboard) I've since come to recognize this particular
juggernaut for what it is: an exploitation of the potential of the web for
corporate gain. The way they both IMPOSE high-cost institution-specific
licensing plans, basically ignore the needs of our community through
Microsoft-style acquisitions (see Blackboard's purchase of
Web-Course-in-a-Box and Prometheus) and limit inter-institutional
cooperation through tying in to institutional security log-ins, is the
single greatest current threat to the continued expansion of the web as a
shared learning space. Sad but true, and given their current market
dominance, complaints like this one will have the same effect as those
about Microsoft...

2) Wimba is promising technology if they upgrade the available sound
quality to a level adequate for more than first-language communication.

3) I'm using Director/Shockwave for a course in Advanced CALL Authoring at
the moment. It's an extraordinary package with a high learning curve
(though less high than previously--there are supplied "behaviors" and even
exercise templates). You can pretty much do anything you want and
immediately compile it for CD-Rom delivery and/ or Shockwave (web)
delivery. Certain limitations for media handling and writing to disc in the
web environment, of course, but all-in-all a nice solution for people who
have time to invest in acquiring the skills, who will for the most part not
be full-time language faculty, but will include many on this list.

-Chris

--On Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:32 PM +0000 LLTI-Editor