LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:40:14 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Donald K. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 23:29:10 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Donald K. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6534.4 URGENT: Macs and PCs on same network (!)

------------------
Karin,

We've be using dual platform on our network for years -- the main lab
has 21 iMacs, 5 Dell Optiplex 110s).  We run several servers, however
(Novell, Appleshare, and OSX, plus a web server [Apache] and a
streaming video server).

Currently our main application server is Novell 4.11 with AFP.  Both
the PCs (running various OS-- Win95/98/2k) and Macs (running OS 9.2)
log in to the Novell server upon start up.  There is only low-level
authentication with generic lab user ids and passwords.  We are using
printing over TCP/IP  to HP printers using JetAdmin, which has helped
solve print queue issues.

Over the summer we'll be moving to a purely OSX server for next year
(getting rid of Novell), setting up directories for the PCs.

Currently, security on the PCs is limited.  We use Policy Editor for
securing the desktops, but smart users find the loopholes there; so
our PCs need weekly attention to there desktops.

We also use Virtual PC on the Macs (mostly for Administration
software -- but sometimes for instruction), but it tends to demand a
lot of one on one support.

If you go dual platform, you will need some technical background in
how to do both of these things together.  If you don't have the
support, I would begin by sticking to one platform that you can get
off the ground coherently.

Good luck,

don

--
Donald K. Wagner                                [log in to unmask]
Manager, HBC Multimedia Labs

'96 VFR 840 (57,527 mi) "The Beast"
'86 VFR 750F (24,053 mi) "Graduate"
'86 VFR 700F (20,737 mi) "Golem"
'87 VFR 700F2 (13,729 mi) "And We Shall Be Saved III"
'93 GL1500 SE (86,213 mi) "Wind Plow"

MSF Instructor, ID# 106018