LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:14:49 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Ruth Trometer <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 11:33:26 -0500
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Ruth Trometer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:  #6490.5 Destinos digitization(!)

I've been following this discussion with some interest - mostly because I
had been toying with the idea of digitizing Destinos.  Read's comment
spurred me to review the U.S. copyright law.  The second exclusive right of
a copyrighted work is to prepare derivative works based upon the
copyrighted work.  I'm guessing that covers why you can't legally make a
copy in another format.  That's the copyright owner's right.  Also under
fair use, there is the clause about "effect upon the potential market for
or value of the copyrighted work".

Copyright is all about the owner being able to make money.  How many
records have been made into cd's?  That's another market for the owner.

I believe all rights remain with the copyright owner unless they
specifically sign them away.  Because one has the permission to make
unlimited copies of a videotape, doesn't mean you can make unlimited
digital copies.  At least that is what our lawyers keep telling me ; )
Other school's lawyers may have a different intrepretation.

Actually if McGraw Hill is allowing one to digitize & put Destinos on a
server for just $400 (I hope I have that figure right), that is pretty
cheap.  Back in 1993, we purchased the Destinos videos from Annenberg for
$650, then had to pay $1,000 to make unlimited copies (yeah, unlimited
copies of 16 tapes - a lot time & space).  The interesting thing I just
re-discovered is that contract ran out in 2001.  So, now I guess we would
have to re-negotiate with McGraw Hill to get rights to duplicate all over
again.  [Fortunately, I think we will switch texts soon.]

I think Ursula / Ed are right, you better have it in black & white, or you
are probably on shaky ground - unless you can get your school's lawyers to
back you up.

There are probably a lot of people better versed on copyright law than I
am, so would be happy to hear your intrepretation.

Ruth