LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:14:38 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 20:51:46 -0500
>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6509 Lab Director/Coordinator/pecking order?
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Is some of this data in the IALLT snapshot done for last IALLT
conference?

My anecdotal evidence only is that if you don't teach and administrate
you are treated as
administrative staff.  Usually this position reports to the Dean of the
academic college you
are part of.  Occasionally, it goes to a staff person in the college
below the Dean.  Budgets
usually come directly from the Dean.  In times of budget crisis this can
be both good and
bad.  Witness Irene's story at UMass.  They were ready to hire an
academic coordinator for
their Center and now are getting rid of the Center itself.  Thank God
Irene is safe from this
closure, herself.  The Dean level decided to close the Center....

Best to all, Mike