LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:38:49 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Karin Thomeier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>   We would like to hear from people who have experience
> with setting up a dual-platform network. What are some problems with
> doing so? How easily are Macs and PCs
> put together on the same server?
> What would the added / hidden costs be of doing so?
>    The support for PC compatibles is much higher on our
> campus as it is for Macintosh. Students also seem to like
> PCs over Macs. However, we wouldn't want to go dual-platform
> if it means all kinds of technical problems.

Karin,

I can't give you a thorough response to this question at the moment, but
I will say that, though we run mostly Macs for student stations, we also
have some PCs (WinME) as well as a Windows NT server and several Mac OSX
and (OS 9.2) ASIP servers. It's nice for use to have the variety and the
options afforded by each. We have no networking problems (or at least
ones we can't fix) on the Mac end, either with our clients or servers,
and we set up shared folders on one of the OSX servers for the PCs. With
TCP/IP network protocol common to the three platforms we run, we have
few cross-platform related limitations. Although I must also point out
that we run far fewer and simpler tasks on the PCs than the Macs, and we
have had more difficulty maintaining security on the Windows machines.
As you point out, perhaps your biggest concern should be the
availability of support for the PCs. Our PCs have so far required more
individual attention to support than our Macs, which is, admittedly,
also partly because our expertise is stronger with the Macs.

Your question can't be answered with much meaningful detail re
networking, though, without knowing exactly what you want to do with the
machines, and, for example, whether you want to run an authentication
server for both client platforms.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957       fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/