LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:38:36 EST
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Wednesday, February 13, 2002, at 05:32  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

>      1.  Is this machine VCR friendly?

I'm not sure what this means... you're not supposed to make tape copies of
DVDs anyway...  ;-)

>      2.  What do you think of the image produced by the converter?
> I've heard that some built-in converters produce inferior images.

Anything which has been "converted" is going to lose some quality, and
particularly since a PAL image is by definition superior to NTSC, then yes,
  a PAL image converted to NTSC is inferior. Ideally one would display a
PAL DVD on a PAL monitor for the best quality, but if you don't have a
multi-standard monitor (or like me, can't afford a 32 inch multi-standard
monitor) this makes the content available which would otherwise not be
available...

>      3.  Do you have any experience with the reliability and
> reparability of this brand?

I've heard of one Malata being delivered DOA which was quickly replaced.
Virtually all of the "region free" players I have used are made in China,
and there's no question that they're of lesser quality than mainstream
brands--look at the price after all--but as long as you trust your vendor,
  you shouldn't have too many problems. For the most part, though, there's
no touching them for features. The last region free player I took apart
(not a Malata) was essentially a pentium based machine running an embedded
linux kernal with a computer DVD drive...

And at $335, we're nearly talking disposable anyway...

/david

--
david herren, shoreham, vermont, usa
Hey Osama! Allah would like a word with you...