LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:14:21 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:57:00 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6511closing of FLRC at UMass Amherst
>From: Mary Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Fellow LLTIers,

As a NERALLD member, I am deeply saddened to hear of these closings.

I would be interested to know whether language centers that affiliated with
the campus IT structures are more or less secure than those who exist as
separate entities.  I know I am more secure because I have taken on
additional responsibilities within my building for classroom media support
(equipment checkout beyond the language faculty).

With the implementation of the Virtual Language Lab, usage statistics of the
bricks and mortar lab declined precipitously.  The actual statistics of
course don't speak of the quality of work now done in the lab--use of
multimedia software, immersion in cultural materials, or personal
interaction with others involved with language learning. Of course, none of
this matters to the bean counters. So I opened the doors to non-language use
of the computers (this now accounts for about 30% of our total use).  Thus,
when I have to cite numbers for the annual report, the lab looks healthy.

Do I like either tactic? No.  But is the return worthwhile?  Yes, I have
better funding than ever, more help when things go wrong, my boss is
fiercely protective of the LLRC and I have gained a sense of belonging and
camaraderie within the greater IT structure that I never had with the
language department.

Mary

--
Mary Fetherston
Supervisor, Language Learning Resource Center