LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:32:00 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Rodney Tamblyn <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 12:54:10 -0500
>Subject: Web technologies for language teaching
>From: Rodney Tamblyn <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello everyone,

I know that this is a broad topic for the list but I would be interested in
your responses to the following.

I am investigating web-based technologies to assist in language teaching.  I
would be interested in additions to the following list.

Please respond either to me or the list.  I will summarise results and post
to my web site.

I'd be interested in getting in touch with anyone on this list developing
resources for use within Blackboard 5 level III, especially people who are
developing building blocks (extensions to blackboard) or considering doing
so - please email me directly.

Rodney

Web server products:

Wimba (http://www.wimba.com)
    - voice discussion boards
    - voice mail
    - voice presentations (powerpoint + audio)
http://www.wimba.com/products/voiceEnabling.html)
    - voice enabled applets
    - language karaoke (listen-repeat)
    - voice comparison tool. (transformation exercise format)
http://www.wimba.com/products/languageTools.html

- Blackboard 5 plugin for Wimba discussion board

Sue Polyson Evans has also developed a plugin that allows Wimba discussion
boards to be integrated into Blackboard 5 level III as an option under the
Communications tab.

Authoring tools for web-based language resource development:

- Livestage Professional http://www.totallyhip.com

Tool for programming interactive quicktime movies using sprite tracks.  I
believe interactive quicktime movies have great potential for use in
language teaching.  Is anyone on this list using Livestage for this purpose?
Searching the archives for Livestage produced no results...

- Flash

- Director/Shockwave movies

Regards,

Rodney