LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:31:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:22:37 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6490.8 Destinos digitization(!)

------------------
Wow--this is liberal but it makes so much sense! And it seems to me that it
does not infringe on the ability of the copyright holders to make money,
since they need to develop an educated public to buy their products. I
think this might even be applied to theatrical films in a film course.
Knowing the names of directors, conductors, composers, and stars is what
motivates one to buy certain types of artistic product.

On another hand, instructional material which by definition is only useful
in the classroom setting needs to protect its rights within that setting.
Once you have seen and worked on a particular episode of Destinos, you are
not likely to want to go out and buy the series, or other Annenberg products.

On yet another hand, the Kinko's suit enforces the right of the copyright
holder to collect, no matter how essential the material is to the course,
or hard to find, or no matter that it might produce an educated public
eager to buy books or subscribe to journals. I was amazed at the speed with
which the course-packet system adapted to this restriction, finding ways to
get approval and collect the royalty fees.

Thoughts on too little coffee,

Judy Shoaf
Language Learning Center