LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 14:14:20 EST
--- Forwarded Message from John William Bowden <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Code Free DVD Players
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>I know the problem of DVD region codes has been discussed previously on
>LLTI, specifically with regard to buying code free players and being
>locked into a region on Mac DVD players after several switches.  My
>question is slightly different.
>
>We are looking into purchasing a DVD player as we are increasingly
>receiving requests from instructors.  The various language departments
>also offer several film courses and the instructors would like to switch
>to using DVDs rather than videos.  However, I suspect that the DVDs for
>the foreign films they use are available in the US and are region 1
>encoded.

We just picked up a Malata (I don't recall the model offhand) region free
unit which plays all CD-R(W)s, VCDs, MP3, all region and region switchable
plus progressive scan.  This little unit ran only $285 shipping included.

I don't recall the URL to the company we bought it from, but I can probably
dig it up when I'm back in the office on Monday.  I think a quick Google
search would bring it up though.

John Bowden
Information Processing Consultant
UWM, Language Resource Center