LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:31:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 04:42  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> I see ads constantly for code free players (all regions etc.) However,
> they
> almost only
> mention PAL/NTSC.
>
> Will SECAM DVD's play therefore on a code free player? Are SECAM DVD's
> considered region 2 as well as you PAL??

To the best of my knowledge, DVDs are not produced in SECAM--they do not
exist. SECAM is clearly in decline as a format--even the French
manufactured video equipment is all SECAM/PAL with a move towards PAL...

> We bought a Daewoo recently that claimed to play PAL which it does not.
> the
> message says "wrong region"/ However, the box and the manual says it will
> play PAL DVD's

You're confusing "region" and "video format." They are separate concepts.
For formats, we have PAL and NTSC. For regions, there are 6 regions:

Region 0:
Universal for cartoons, older films and educational titles.

Region 1:
Canada, United States and its territories.

Region 2:
Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East.

Region 3:
South-East Asia, East Asia.

Region 4:
Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South
America, Caribbean.

Region 5:
Former Soviet Union, Indian Subcontinent, Africa
(also North Korea, Mongolia).

Region 6:
China.

Theoretically, one could have a PAL or NTSC version of a disc for each of
the 6 world regions, though in practice discs are produced in the video
standard common in the region for which they are coded. Regions were
created by the movie studios to control world wide release schedules and
maximize their profits.

Furthermore, does the Daewoo in question convert from PAL to NTSC? Are you
using it with a multistandard monitor that supports both PAL and NTSC?
There are players that will play PAL discs, but they output a PAL signal
which will require a PAL capable monitor to view the image.

> Also, I have called Pioneer/Panasonic/Sony and they say that code free
> players are not made for this country. I wonder what happens to the
> warranty?? Most players have world voltage on them.

/david

--
david herren, shoreham, vermont, usa
Hey Osama! Allah would like a word with you...