LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:42:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 15:29:15 -0800
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6509.1 Lab Director/Coordinator/pecking order? (!)

------------------
I imagine that nomenclature is treated so differntly in different
places that what is important is how the position is treated and how
you are treated in the position.  My title is "Director", but I gave
myself the title (and it seems to be the most common for what I do).

We are understaffed, and there will always be a chance that someone
will want to save money by closing down the lab.  We handle more than
730 hours/week of student practice per week (from levels 111-222) and
an unrecorded number of hours from advanced students, which may be
above 30/week. I work hard to keep costs down for everything, but I
am also careful top survey student opinion and faculty satisfaction
every semester.

So far, I find that I am treated with respect.  I do think people
forget sometimes how hard all IT work is.

TBob
Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html