LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:55:40 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:39:06 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Hindi position -- revised

------------------
Hi Otmar -- Sorry about this -- the office that is managing the search
revised the job description slightly to clarify the  teaching
responsibilities.  Could you post this?   Thanks -- Nina

************************************
REVISED POSTING:   Please respond to the address given below.

HINDI LANGUAGE LECTOR position, three year term appointment.
South Asian Studies Council, Yale Center for International and Area Studies
Yale University, New Haven, CT, 06520 USA

The South Asian Studies Council of the Yale Center for International and
Area Studies, in cooperation with the Yale Center for Language Study and
the Department of Linguistics, announces an opening for a Lector in Hindi
Language beginning July 1, 2002.  Primary duties include teaching
five  term courses per year including beginning (2 term courses) and
intermediate (2  term courses) in Hindi language with a focus on four
learning-skill areas -- reading, writing, speaking and listening.  The
fifth term course will be in advanced Hindi language, with a focus on
modern literary, cultural and/or social topics as appropriate to the
appointee's qualifications and expertise.  The lector also will participate
in program building of South Asian Studies at Yale and especially in
developing pedagogic materials and the overall SAS language
curriculum.  Applicants should have experience in teaching Hindi as a
second language in a college or university environment and an M.A. or other
advanced degree in a relevant discipline. Experience with computer-aided
language learning methods and in software development is desirable.  We
prefer a candidate with native or near-native fluency in Hindi, strong
English skills, demonstrated ability and enthusiasm for in-class language
instruction, together with expertise in second-language acquisition. We
also prefer candidates who have command of more than one South Asian
language.  Lectors are normally appointed for three years with annual
renewal based on mid-year performance review.   Salary commensurate with
experience and background.   Review of applications will begin on March 1,
2001 and continue until search is completed.  Send letter of application,
curriculum vita and three letters of recommendation to Nancy Ruther,
Associate Director, YCIAS, P.O. Box 208206, New Haven CT  06520,
U.S.A.   Submissions by email will be accepted.  Send them to the SAS
Council Administrator, Mrs. Papacoda  <[log in to unmask]>   AA/EOE;
applications from women and minorities are encouraged.