LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:55:30 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 19:06:28 -0500
>From: Leslie Graul <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6486.1 Yale University Press (!)

Our Destinos, French in Action and Fokus Deutsch cases state:
"This cassette may be played in the U.S. only for private or public
performance on VCRs and over college, library and school closed circuit, and
ITFS systems without further permission.  Use of this series as a telecourse
requires an additional telecourse license.  For information about cable rights
or use outside the U.S. call 1-800-LEARNER.."
The packing list that was enclosed in the box of Destinos tapes had the
statement:
"Please  use this slip as your site license to make 1 copy of series.  License
void if returned--copies must be destroyed."
How many people read and/or save the packing list?!   Because of those
statements, we paid to license a second copy of 1-26 of Destinos.  Since
digitizing these videos would provide many copies for simultaneous use via a
network, it seems that Annenberg would also charge us for that.

I wonder if some institutions purchased different rights with the Annenberg
series'.  And if they did so, how did they do it?  We used the brochures that
listed the prices of the various parts of the series, and sent Purchase Orders
to Yale University Press.

Leslie Graul