LLTI Archives

February 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 10:55:16 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Carly Born <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

> ------------------
> I'm sure this is a naïve question, but here goes...  Does anyone know how to
> get Japanese fonts to work in PowerPoint and Excel?  Do I need to get the
> so-called Multinational Package from Microsoft?  Is there a way to use the
> Japanese included with Office.  We are using Office 98 with Mac OS 9.x.
>
> If the instructions are way complicated, maybe you can point me to a site
> where I can get them rather than waste your time and patience.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Japanese is historically unreliable in Excel and PP Office 98.  They do work
in PP, but you have to constantly remind it which font to use.  Opening the
document later, even on the same machine, will show you 'mojibake'.  But you
can highlight the text and choose Osaka or Mincho to get the characters
back.

Limited use of Japanese in Excel 98 works, but a file that has more than
just a little will eventually become corrupted.

Based on my experience, Office 2001 is much better for Japanese support in
these two apps.

Carly J. Born
Academic Computing Coordinator
Literature & Foreign Languages