LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:17:50 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:37:52 -0500
>From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6462 Live video streaming

------------------
Hello Gabe and LLTIers!

Sorry it took a while to respond. Only yesterday I went to a demo of
Motion JPEG streaming that we are testing with the University of Utrecht
and Berkely as part of Internet2. Although there are certainly important
ramifications for videoconferencing, we are looking at it to stream
foreign language broadcasts available on the campus cable network with
our satellite dishes. Since it is so bandwidth intensive, I'm not sure
yet if we will just limit it to our lab or to the building our lab is
in. It is free software that runs on RedHat Linux and videocards. It is
a very cheap solution (around $1,000). I'm still not clear on all the
details, but if you want to contact me off-list I will get more
information for you.

I, too, am interested in any other solutions people are using. We are
currently planning to renovate our lab with final capacity at 75+
computers. That doesn't leave a lot of space for analog equipment and if
we can deliver these materials digitally, it would really be helpful.

Beth Secrist, Director
Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.
University of Tennessee