LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:28:45 EST
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: #6463 Licensing fees for Streaming Video
>Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:13:40 -0500

Joseph Kautz said "We would like to stream a couple of hours of German from
the Fokus Deutsch
series but the publisher is charging 400.00 per year as a licensing fee.
Does this seem like a fair offer?  Are other institutions paying similar
fees for the right to stream video and audio?"

Just my two cents, but I think that the publishers should be paying US to do
the work of converting this stuff to streaming format! They should give it
away in the same way they do with the cassette tapes! I have been granted
free permission to stream audio on our password-protected LAN from three
different publishers, but this has required a great deal of work on my part.

Lorraine Williams
Language Technology Coordinator
Library Information Services
Saint Michael's College