LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:28:26 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 13:54:09 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6463 Licensing fees for Streaming Video

------------------
This is an interesting thread.
With audio, most textbook companies extend the same rights as they did for
copying tapes (i.e. no charge to stream it so long as access is restricted
to students at the university who have bought the book). The one company
that wanted to charge us for streaming audio asked quite a substantial fee
(about $500/year for 2 years' worth of audio material, about 14 hours'
worth I think).
Video has always had much more restrictive legal and explicit protections
than audio (e.g. playing a video for an invited audience on campus would be
a public performance, a copyright violation; playing an audiorecording
would not). I guess this comes from the fact that records need to be heard
in public or on the radio in order to sell copies, whereas video makes its
money by selling viewing rights.
It seems to me that with video the charges should be comparable to
broadcasting.

Waiting to hear what the reals tory is--

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida