LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:49:53 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Jim Donley <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:50:37 -0600
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Jim Donley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Would appreciate a hand with this...
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

I'm trying to help the Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
here at Northwestern University with some usability problems.  We are
currently focusing on a Mac with OS 9 that has the Cyrillic Language
Kit installed. We have been using Latinskij (unicode) as the primary
font. The email client is Eudora 5.1 and email is being sent between
the Mac and computers which do not use an English OS or a roman
keyboard. We've used a variety of versions of Communicator and IE for
web browsing.

Problems that we are currently experiencing:

1. When receiving email, Non-roman characters do not show up
properly.  They may appear as a blank space, an underline, a box or
other "special" character.

2. When sending email, the recipient does not always receive what
appeared on the screen of the Mac that the message originated on.

3. When viewing slavic websites, with both Communicater and IE, the
text is not properly displayed and has symptoms similar to Eudora.

4. Cannot copy text from slavic websites and paste into Word or Eudora.

One of my peers indicated that these problems exist under OS X as well.

The end result that we are looking for is full support of Cyrillic
and, if possible, Central European text in email, MS Office and
browsing while using a homophonic keyboard.  We would prefer to have
a solution that relies on unicode fonts.  We are not opposed to
migrating to OS X if it provides the best solution.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

jd