LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:28:59 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Robert H. Smitheram" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:43:42 -0800
>Subject: Re: #6459 Chinese Email on Win2k
>From: "Robert H. Smitheram" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]

> --- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---
>
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:50:45 -0600 (CST)
> From: [log in to unmask]
> To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
> Sender: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Chinese Email on Win2k
>
> ------------------
> Does anyone have any suggestions for a POP or IMAP
> email client that will handle Chinese reliably on
> Windows 2000?  I have a new Chinese faculty member who
> has just switched from Mac to Windows.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carly Born
> Academic Computing Coordinator
> Carleton College

In all cases I would recommend Netscape with its included e-Mail client;
it can do POP or IMAP, and does an excellent job of handling the
encoding of outgoing email messages [from the View menu], and use the
same menu to render email messages in the appropriate encoding if the
given email uses a standard Western encoding like ISO-6659-1; you can
also set the default encoding for outgoing messages to a specific
Chinese encoding (gb2312 or big5) and is available on all platforms;
version 6.2 is very stable in my experience and comes with some cool
features for web-browsing, including the ability to "guess" the encoding
of non-specified web pages. I use it on MacOS X when I need to set the
encoding for outgoing e-mails manually; mail.app is a great app but does
not come with that ability, defaulting to utf-8 in all cases and some of
my recipients are not able to handle that encoding.

Good luck,

Robert
--
Robert H. Smitheram, Ph.D.