LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:55:55 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Carolyn G. Fidelman" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:35:07 -0500 (EST)
>From: "Carolyn G. Fidelman" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Obit for a Language Lab
>Sender: "Carolyn G. Fidelman" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear LLTI colleagues,

I thought you should all know that Regis College (Weston, MA) as of last
Tuesday no longer has a Language Learning Center.

Understand that it was not really a specific target. I think I did my best
to make it a quality environment for language learners and my fellow
NERALLDers who came to visit last year will attest.

No, this was part of a massive layoff due to the College's financial woes.
The degradation has been lurking in the background just waiting to happen
due to fiscal mishandling going back to 1996. The Language Dept. saw this
coming as of last spring when a significant curricular change was
instituted that included e.g. elimination of the language requirement.

So, as with the LLC, there is no longer a Language Department (only
Spanish will be taught after this semester). In addition, other
departments such as Math, Chemistry, Economics, and Art were eliminated.
As you can see, this was a really serious move by the higher ups in their
attempt to "save" the college. We'll see how it works out in the long run.

Meanwhile, maybe I'll go back to working on my newsletter. I'm working on
staying in the language biz. Let me know if you hear of anything. I'll be
at CALICO UC Davis in March, so I hope to see all of you there.

Regards to all,

Carolyn Fidelman

(former) Coordinator, Language Learning Center
Regis College

(still)
Carolyn G. Fidelman             Check out the Agora Language Marketplace
Editor-In-Chief                    A Virtual Exhibit Hall on the WWW
Agora Language Marketplace    * Winner of the Magellan 4-Star Site Award *
[log in to unmask]                       http://agoralang.com/