LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:04:18 EST
--- Forwarded Message from J Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 14:54:53 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6447 RTSP via the QuickTime Streaming Server
>From: J Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]>
>To: llti <[log in to unmask]>

I ran into a number of problems when developing our Virtual Listening Lab
with QTSS that I think I've been able to fix:

1) On the VLL page I used QT 'poster' files with an 'embed' tag that
activate the user's QT player, if they don't have it configured to read RTSP
files with QT. The 'embed' tag can include all sorts of extra stuff telling
the client browser what to do--see
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/authoring/embed.html
for more info. Of course, I learned a lot of this from your wonderful page,
Mary, so I imagine you might know this already. The other problem could be:

2) Windows users need to configure their QT settings for streaming transport
to use RTSP, not HTTP--see http://www.colby.edu/lrc/vll/instructions.html

3) With Macs, you can edit preferences so that the file & protocol helpers
for whatever files default to a certain helper app, i.e. QT. Instructions
are on the same VLL instructions page.

Hope this helps!

Jon Reinhardt
Colby College lang tech/LRC guy