LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:04:17 EST
--- Forwarded Message from "Gabriel J. Webster" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:19:36 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Gabriel J. Webster" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6447 RTSP via the QuickTime Streaming Server

------------------

You'll want to buy the book "QuickTime for the Web", by Apple Computer,
published by Morgan Kaufmann, to get the details, but there are two
recommended ways to access an RTSP stream from a QTSS.  One way is to
write src="rtsp://myserver.myu.edu/..." directly in the embed statement on
your html page (one problem might be that you're not using an embed
statement).  The preferred way, however, is to create a "reference movie"
for each RTSP stream.  You can do this using the tools "MakeRefMovie" and
"XMLtoRefMovie", both included on a CD with the book, and also available
at http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/quicktimeintro/tools/.

If you want to see a sample way of setting this up, go to one of our
streaming QT pages:

http://depts.washington.edu/llc/olr/arabic/ARA_001/index.html

Click on "Dialog 1" and then use the View...Source command to look at the
embed statement.  The "src" parameter in the "embed" statement is a
reference movie which contains an "rtsp://" link to the file on our
streaming server.

Sorry this is a bit complicated.  The book is a much better resource.  If
you're using Unix, I have some tools to help automatically create large
numbers of reference movies.

Cheers,
Gabe Webster
Staff Associate