LLTI Archives

January 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:04:28 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 11:39:28 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AAUSC 2003 -- call for papers

Dear LLTI subscribers - This has been posted to a number of FL teaching
lists, and it occurred to me that it would be great to have a chapter in
this volume on the role of technology in enabling the offering of
advanced-level language courses.  Anyone out there interested in submitting
a paper?  See below -- please don't reply to me (Nina).

AAUSC VOLUME 2003: Issues in Language Program Direction

Advanced Foreign Language Learning:
A Challenge to College Programs

Call for Papers

Papers are sought for the American Association of University Supervisors
and Coordinators' 2003 volume on Issues in Language Program Direction.
Entitled Advanced Foreign Language Learning:  A Challenge to College
Programs, this collection explores the possibilities and challenges for
collegiate foreign language departments as they support advanced L2
learning. Central to the volume is the notion that fostering advanced
language learning requires program-wide thinking that spans the typical
four-year undergraduate program and the possibility for continuation in
graduate education. Because of their expertise in the field and their
inherent investment in programmatic issues, supervisors and coordinators,
can and should play a pivotal role in shaping this discussion.
An investigation into advanced language acquisition raises important
questions about possible limitations placed on advanced language learning
by the structural and content bifurcation in collegiate foreign language
departments and also by  prevailing characterizations of the advanced
learner. Specifically, addressing advanced language instruction entails
linking content and language learning and the consequences of that linkage,
in terms of structures, courses, materials, and pedagogies. This volume
wishes to foster an explicit focus on these and related issues. Topics that
might be addressed include:

-- "The curriculum," as contrasted with a series of courses or as two
separate and unequal portions (e.g., the language program, the content
courses) as a way of enhancing balanced interlanguage development toward
advanced abilities over the four years of study;
-- quality criteria for "language teaching " in the post-methods condition
that recognizes that foreign language learning is a staged long-range
process, that must have, at the very least, have a conceptual trajectory
toward advanced abilities if it is at all to achieve them;
-- the challenge of fostering the existing capacities of heritage speakers;
-- the quality of study abroad programs, and their relationship to campus
programs;
-- the increasingly frequent shift back-and-forth between instructed and
naturalistic foreign language learning, e.g., through internships,
engagement with diverse communities that use the language, the world of work;
-- a program's need to "assure" that its graduates can handle the
sophisticated language use that characterizes academic work in graduate
departments.
-- a reconsideration of what is involved in "language acquisition" in
academic settings, as contrasted with proprietary and professional settings.

For expressions of interest and questions about the volume, please contact
the editors at your earliest convenience. Submission deadline for papers (4
copies):  September 1, 2002. See style sheet (Modified Chicago B) in recent
issues of the AAUSC series.

Heidi Byrnes and Hiram Maxim
German Department
Georgetown University

Washington, D.C. 20057
Tel:  (202) 687-6051; Fax:  (202) 687-7568
E-mail:  [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]