LLTI Archives

December 2001, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 07:49:19 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 14:06:36 -0500
>From: Samantha Earp <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: help with Win2K multilanguage pack installs

------------------
Hi guys,

Here's a weird problem we're scratching our head about.  We've been
using the language add-ons at the system level and the multilanguage
pack versions of Office 2000 for a year now, with no trouble until now,
so we thought we had it all figured out.  But now we're trying to
install them on a build for new computers, and things have started going
haywire.

Here's the message forwarded to me from one of the lab managers:

[....
I am trying to install this MLP on my three prototype IBM-PC's that
represent all of the public IBM-PC clusters around campus. I am running
Win2000 with all the latest service packs and critical updates, and all
the latest service packs for Office 2000 and the MLP (SP2).

My Questions are:

1 - why are both Hebrew and Arabic not supported on two of my three
prtotypes (the oldest and the newest, yet is supported on the 1 year
old PC's)?

2 - installation of all languages has been completed, yet many
languages do not show up when I try to add them as new Input Locales
using the Keyboard icon. This must be accomplished before users can
input in the selected language. Why are those languages not showing up?

I have searched the web but have yet to find anything that relates to
those two specific problems ...

...]

Any ideas? Any help would be most appreciated, as this is holding up
getting our public labs upgraded for next semester...

Best,
Samantha
Samantha Earp
Director, Foreign Language Technology Services
Box 90198                    Tel: 919.660.5945
Duke University              Fax: 919.660.5923
Durham, NC 27708             [log in to unmask]
http://www.duke.edu/~ssearp/